What is Yoga?
Yoga translated, means “union”. To practice yoga is to connect your mind and body, to connect to your own inner world and also to connect with the world around you. Yoga is an ancient practice, originating in India over 5,000 years ago. A male who practices yoga is called a “yogi” and a female is called a “yogini”.
The classes offered by Energy, Mind and Body are for those with all levels of Yoga experience. We believe yoga is for everybody and that means every body.
There are different types of yoga, with the main types practiced in class being:
- Hatha yoga – the most beginner-friendly type of yoga, typically consisting of breathing, meditation and postures
- Vinyasa yoga – flowing through postures in time with the breath
- Yin Yoga – relaxing yoga where a posture is held for a longer period, allowing for therapeutic practice
Yoga Nidra – a guided relaxation technique practiced lying still on your back
Yoga is for everyone!
Yoga can help everyone, no matter the age, gender or profession. Athletes or desk workers can benefit from Yoga. Yoga is a great skill to develop as it helps with many common health problems, including:
- Hypertension – yoga lowers blood pressure
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – yoga creates energy within the body and helps to get more restful sleep
- Sciatica and chronic back pain – yoga strengthens and keeps the spine mobile and healthy
- Stress, anxiety and depression – yoga increases emotional awareness and teaches self-soothing techniques through breathing, relaxation and meditation exercises
- PTSD – yoga calms and regulates the nervous system
- Fibromyalgia – yoga increases muscle strength, flexibility and mobility, as well as relieving pain and tension in the muscles
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – yoga improves digestion and lowers stress levels. High-stress levels are a leading cause of IBS.
- Heart disease – yoga lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and resting heart rate
- Arthritis – yoga builds bone strength and improves joint flexibility
- Respiratory issues – yoga increases lung strength, function and capacity
- Diabetes – yoga reduces blood glucose levels
Other Benefits of Yoga Include:
Improved brain health, memory and focus
Boosted immune system
Management and control of the emotions
Proper alignment of the body and spine
Increased mindfulness of the present moment
Upcoming Yoga Classes in Cookstown
We host a few different yoga classes. For drop-in’s, please check out our Classes page
Monday 7 pm – 8.15 pm
Tuesday 10 am – 11.15 am
Thursday 7 pm – 8.15 pm
Classes are drop-in at £8 per class or to guarantee your mat you can pre-pay via the Aaron’s Gym reception desk or by messaging the Namaste the Day facebook page (www.facebook.com/namastethedayy).
There is also a block booking offer where if you block book 6 classes you pay for 5 and get the 6th free! Link: https://energymindandbody.com/product/6-week-beginners-yoga
Mats, blankets, yoga blocks, pillows and eye masks (for the meditation) are all provided. All you need to bring is a drink!
Limited to 10 spaces only.
6 Week Beginners Yoga
Block book 6 classes and only pay for 5!
Meet Our Yoga Instructors
Hey, I’m Rachel 👋🏻 27, Mum of two, coffee drinker ☕️ I feel like everyone has their own purpose…